Sunday, April 15, 2012

How to make this dress fit properly!

So I've been thinking about how to alter this dress so I don't feel so frumpish in it.  I really think if I can take the bulk out of the bodice it will feel much better.
I'm going to put the dress on inside out, then pin the princess seams to follow the curve of my bust so everything will hit in the correct place.  In theory it should work because I"m taking it in.......
I'm thinking I won't have to do that in the back as it fits pretty good, just the front.  But I'm ripping out a section of the shoulder seam so I can take in the back to match the front just at the upper back.


Yesterday I went shopping at Kohl's.  I've been looking for a nice pair of dress shoes in white.  I don't typically wear white, but for some reason they appeal to me this year.  I've worn mary janes for the past 7 years. they have a wedge heel, but not very high, about an inch.   I bought them at a specialty shop and they cost over 100.00, but , they are really starting to wear, and I've gotten my money's worth for sure.  they were super comfortable, but I'm ready for something new.

So I was just wandering through Kohls and stopped in the shoe department.  Now mind you, I've not been big on shoes.  Comfort is my thing......but I think I've found some stye and comfort....
I ended up buying 3 pair of shoes for 94.00, saving 111.00.   I love Kohls!

One is a loafer looking, with patent leather top in alligator print, with plain black sides.  It is a wedge 1 1/2 inches high...and I walked all over the store in them, my feet didn't hurt, my back didn't hurt,  they were a keeper.
The second pair is a brownish bronze loafer, (same style) just alligator all over.  They were a close out for $27.  the color is not my favorite, but it is something different, and I think they will be just as comfortable.
The third pair (and my favorite) are White strapped, open toes, sandals, with a 2 1/4 inch chunky heel.  They are super comfortable as well.  Probably not as comfortable as the other 2, but certainly dressy and they look wonderful on my feet.  (pictures coming as soon as someone lets me know where my camera disappeard to!)
THE MOST WONDERFUL PART OF ALL:    I've always worn a size 10 shoe.  Medium width.  Now that I've lost weight, my shoe size is a  9 1/2 B.  What a shocker, I've always tried the smaller size on , and in sandals, could not get my toes through the entire shoe and in pumps my toes hit the end of the shoe..  Now they fit perfectly.  So exciting. (can you tell it's the little things that get me going)
I think I'm going to have a shoe fettish......but hey, that's better than a food fettish!  Right?!!!!   I have to give credit where credit is due!  Debbie Cook, I follow her blog, has been losing weight this past year which really inspired me, as well as Sherril Miller, but Debbie has taken to ordering shoes from Zappos....and she has gotten some of the cutest shoes!  Now she has a great blog.  Very informative, she shows how she does alterations, ect.....someday I hope to be as good as she is.  Sherril, also has a great blog and shows alterations, etc.   

Now on to sewing.......I still haven't finished my hot pink t shirt I made over a month ago.  I tried two different neck bands, and I hate them.  So now I have to draft a facing after I lower the neckline to make it look more like a blouse instead of a t shirt.  I'm just draggin my heels......ok...you're right, I"m just getting lazy.
Then I have a black, straight skirt, my mom made me 15 years ago, that I hardly wore, because I started gaining weight so fast.    Well, now I'm in it.  It's too long, so instead of redoing the hem, because there is a slit in the back, I need to lower the waist band and put new elastic in it.  Again, dragging my feet, but the new black shooes will look really nice with the outfit.  Not too dressy as this is a more casual office wear look.  (whatever that is).

 

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like good progress, and fun shoes (in a smaller size, how 'bout that?) as a bonus!

    I follow Debbie's and Sherril's blogs, too. Check out the green smoothies on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I went to your blog, but didn't see the smoothie recipe. can you give me the link? Thanks for the comments. I'd love to follow your blog too.

      Delete